About The Cancer Research UK Good As New Sale
So far, our sale has generated over £163,000 which has been donated to Cancer Research UK.
Each sale around 300 families sell clothing, bedding, equipment, toys, books and anything related to children. It is the ultimate in recycling with everything a family will need from birth to teenage/young adult.
It is difficult to calculate how many families have benefited from our sales, but we estimate that in the last 5 years almost 3,000 families have sold their outgrown possessions, and in the same time over 5,500 people will have attended the sales!
Congratulations as well as huge thanks must go to Pat Farmiloe who started and ran this superb sale for so many years, supporting so many families.
We are grateful to our local business supporters.
- Esher Sixth Form College and the premises staff for their help during hire of the premises
- Curchods Estate Agents for sponsoring the sale, and advertising via their sale boards
- Brewer & Son in Surbiton who, for many years, have donated the plastic sacks we distribute to buyers
- Marks & Spencer in Kingston for the loan of barriers for the payment queues
- EKA Stationers in Molesey who for many years have kindly subsidised and printed leaflets for schools etc.; also with printing the posters that are put up around the area to advertise the sale.
The sale started in 1976 in a very small way and it has become huge! It moved over the years from a bedroom, to Weston Green Church Hall, to Thames Ditton Youth Centre, until the local authority decided to close the centre down so that we were forced to find new premises again. They did us a huge favour as we relocated to the new sports and drama centre at Esher College. We now have more than enough space to display all the goods, and have formed a very good relationship with Esher College who have been very supportive of our sale.