Recycle Your Loved Items For Cancer Research UK
The Cancer Research UK Good As New Sale has an excellent reputation for quality and value. We have been running this sale for over 35 years and during that time we have evolved systems which allow the day to run smoothly and efficiently. It may appear that we are being unnecessarily pedantic with the list below but they are all there for a reason!
We hold a spring/summer sale and an autumn/winter sale so please send seasonally appropriate clothes and equipment
No more than 2 manageable cardboard boxes per person, plus large toys and equipment, as we need quality not quantity
Preparing for sale
This is GOOD AS NEW so no jumble quality or unseasonal goods please as we have to maintain our reputation.
• Anything considered unsuitable will not be displayed nor returned (unseasonal, soiled or poor quality).
• All items must be clearly labelled with the seller’s name, clearly written in capitals, the price, age/size and colour, and a brief description of item. (This helps us to match up lost labels with items that have no labels.) Labels should be sewn or safety-pinned (please, no dressmaking pins), and masking tape used on plastic and books. Please do not use very small labels; they get lost easily, which means that the seller will not get their money.
• Price Guidance – work on 10-20% of the original value. If the item is extra special, ie a more expensive label, or new/unworn then up to 30% can be charged (not newborn though as we have so much to sell). People will not pay high prices.
• Everything with loose parts must be secured firmly to avoid disappointment eg toys with bits can be put in a box with plastic cover for viewing.
• Puzzles + games must be complete with lids securely sealed, ideally with string. Imagine how disappointed children are when they find their purchase has missing parts!
• Large toys should be dismantled if possible as we struggle with space. A clear photo of the complete toy is helpful, and please pack well so that pieces cannot become separated at the sale.
• No individual items under £1.00 – so bundle a few things of same type together.
• Books can be bundled together using string or masking tape (try not to spoil the covers please).
• Shoes; Due to space restrictions, only new or nearly new shoes will be sold (including wellies, sports shoes, slippers). Strict quality control will be enforced. All shoes must be clean.
• Electrical items must be in full working order as we have no facility to test, nor can we be held responsible in any way for those items.
• Electronic toys must be supplied with batteries so they can be tried prior to purchase to avoid disappointment.
• To reiterate – We cannot handle more than 2 manageable boxes per person plus large toys and equipment – we need quality not quantity.
What to Sell
Everything for sale must be seasonal – good as new – clean – complete – working condition only – clearly named + priced
3-5 years girls
3-5 years boys
6-8 years girls
6-8 years boys
9-12 years girls
9-12 years boys
13+ girls and boys
baby; rattles – cot – soft
toddler; musical – toddler – construction – blocks
boys; construction – vehicles – action figures – lego/playmobil etc
girls; dolls – craft etc
jigsaws – puzzles – games
videos – cassettes – electronic
books; from cloth – non fiction
breast feeding – nappy cleaning – potties – blankets/bedding – baths
prams – pushchairs – car seats
cribs – cots – high chairs
push alongs – trikes – bikes
football boots – dance shoes – wellies
Delivery and Collection
Delivery of goods to sale
• There is no need to register pre sale.
• Items should be delivered to Esher College gymnasium between 8.30-10.30 am on the date of the sale.
• Everything except large toys, furniture and equipment must be in cardboard boxes. (Please do not bring items in bags as we need all the boxes to sort the unsold items into at the end of the sale – otherwise everything will be in heaps on the floor).
• You must sign goods in using the name on your labels.
• Large equipment should be put in the ‘lecture theatre’ adjacent to signing in tables.
• You will be asked to carry your boxes of clothes, toys and books to the gymnasium where we will unpack them.
• You will collect a slip of paper reminding you to collect your unsold goods the same afternoon and details of money collection the following Thursday.
• Bank details may be left by out-of-area sellers when signing goods in, and a bank transfer will be made at no charge once labels and money have been processed.
Collection of goods post sale
• Unsold articles must be collected from the sale on the same day between 6.00-6.30 – ask a friend to collect if you can’t.
• Large equipment should be collected from the ‘lecture theatre’ adjacent to signing in.
• Check contents of your box in case anything with similar name has been put in your box (it’s a long day and we sometimes make mistakes).
• Lost Labels: Unfortunately many items lose labels during the course of the day. At the end of the sale these items will be placed on a separate table that is clearly marked “Lost labels”. When you collect your unsold items, please make sure you check whether there are any of your items on this table.
• Unseasonal/rejected items will be placed on a separate table – again check through in case you need to collect anything.
• Please take everything of yours home with you (including the box).
• Any items not collected by 7pm will be removed for disposal. Shooting Stars take all the non-clothing items. Esher High School take clothing/shoes to send to Africa and to sell in bulk to raise money to send pupils to Africa to help in schools there.
Collection of money
• You will be given a slip with details for money collection which is usually the Thursday following the sale. Should you lose your slip then please email for details.
• 25% of proceeds will be deducted from your total sales and donated to Cancer Research UK.
• Money not collected is assumed to be a donation.